Sunday, September 20, 2009

Real Freedom: 1 Corinthians 9:1-12

I heard a quote this last week in a great sermon: Real freedom is being free enough to give up our freedom for the good of others.

How does a participating mature brother not flaunt his freedom to a susceptible weaker brother?

Its so easy to be enslaved to our freedom in Christ.

We need to mature our conscience, and be free enough not to do it to encourage the weaker brother.

There are four types of Christians in relation to this issue of freedom:
Professional Weaker Brother (You're not a good Christian if you participate in ___)
Susceptible Weaker Brother (I am not a good Christian if I participate in ___)
Non-participating Mature Brother (Godly Christians can participate in ___, but I choose not to).
Participating Mature Brother (Christians are free to participate in ___, and I do).

Few thoughts:

Is God's revealed will firmly in my mind so that my conscience can shape its application?
How has my culture and background shaped my conscience?
Do I have this issue in its proper place? Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."

vs 12. "Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure (cover, hide) anything rather than put an obstacle (hinder, restrain) in the way of the GOSPEL.

Get your priorities right: Passion for Christ and the Gospel.

No comments: